Friday, November 12, 2010

From the road

I just wrapped up an incredible trip to Bowdoin College.

It is always amazing to get on a plane in the hecticness of New York, surrounded by buildings and asphalt, and find myself amid green trees and just an hour later. Maine is incredible.

Bowdoin was super welcoming and I had a chance to meet Leah Pepe, the student organizer for Safe Space, a campus organization dedicated to supporting survivors of sexual violence, and Melissa Quinby, the Director of the Women's Resource Center. Both groups helped to bring Subjectified to campus.

The Bowdoin newspaper did a story on Subjectified as well. Very cool! You can read it here. It's always interesting to read other people's perspectives on Subjectified, and always strange to read my own quotes. I need to work on speaking grammatically in conversation! Recently, quite a few people have asked me what I personally learned in the process of making the doc and how it affected me. That is good food for thought. I can't quite know the answer yet because the process is not yet over. The succinct answer is what I told the Bowdoin Orient writer, Quinn Cohane "'I feel much freer to express myself, and that's been really useful in my personal life and the way I relate to other people,' said Goldman. 'I had to confront things I was uncomfortable with head on, things I didn't even realize I was uncomfortable with.'"

The longer answer is more complicated. I can honesty say that every single one of these interviews changed me and made me recognize something in myself that I had never acknowledged or understood. It's not too useful for me to speak in these sweeping generalities, so I will come up with some specific examples. More on this later.

In the meanwhile, this shooting/screening trip continues. I'll be in the southwest for a few days and eventually up to UC Berkeley for the event on Thursday! All are welcome: 145 Dwinelle Hall at 7PM on 11/18.

/Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Page

Become a fan on facebook

Facebook Badge

Join us on facebook where the conversation continues!